How to apply waterslide decals on model airplanes and vehicles
Waterslide decals are a great way to add detail and realism to your model airplanes and vehicles. They are easy to apply and can be used to create a variety of different effects, from simple markings to complex artwork.
In this blog post, we will walk you through the steps of how to apply waterslide decals to your model airplanes and vehicles.
- Waterslide decals
- Clean water
- Soft brush
- Microfiber cloth
- Decal setter and softener (optional)
- Clear coat (optional)
- Prepare the model. Make sure the surface of the model is clean and free of dust and grease. You may want to apply a light coat of clear coat to the area where the decal will be placed. This will help the decal to adhere better.
- Cut out the decal. Use a sharp hobby knife or scissors to cut out the decal from the backing paper. Be careful not to cut into the decal itself.
- Soak the decal in water. Place the decal in a shallow dish of clean water for 30-60 seconds, or until it begins to slide off the backing paper.
- Apply the decal to the model. Use a soft brush to slide the decal off the backing paper and onto the model. Position the decal carefully and use the brush to smooth out any air bubbles.
- Apply decal setter and softener (optional). If you are using decal setter and softener, apply a small amount to the decal and to the surrounding area of the model. This will help the decal to adhere better and conform to the shape of the model.
- Allow the decal to dry. Once the decal is in place, allow it to dry completely. This may take several hours.
- Apply a clear coat (optional). Once the decal is dry, you may want to apply a light coat of clear coat to seal the decal and protect it from damage.
- If you are applying a large decal, it may be helpful to cut it into smaller pieces. This will make it easier to apply and position the decal.
- If you are having trouble getting the decal to adhere to the model, try applying a small amount of decal setter and softener.
- Be careful not to over-apply decal setter and softener, as this can cause the decal to wrinkle.
- If you make a mistake and apply the decal in the wrong place, you can usually remove it by soaking it in warm water for a few minutes.
With a little practice, you will be able to apply waterslide decals like a pro!